1886 - The cycle revolution
Following the Peugeot business strategy of regularly adding new chapters to the catalogue and using the firm’s know-how to diversify, the company created new workshops in the factory of Beaulieu to build bicycles in 1882, with mass production begining in 1886.
The penny-farthing (photo), was the ranges entry level product, selling for between 225 and 450 francs. Chainless and freewheeling, it was inexpensive to manufacture. The tricycle was the top of the range, priced between 500 and 600 francs, with two seats side by side. Then the key model, the bicycle with 75cm wheels, sold for 250 francs, this model rapidly dominated the market and its core architecture has not changed to this day.
Progressively, a whole variety of cycles were offered: swan-neck frame, straight or reinforced, tandems and children’s bicycles. In 1900, the factory was reorganised for the fourth time enabling yearly production to increase to 20 000 bicycles. Success brought a change to the vocabulary when people no longer referred to a bicycle, but to a Peugeot.